In recent years, eSIM technology has been gaining popularity all around the world. With the advancement of technology, it’s no surprise that the United States is embracing this technology as well. To help you understand what an eSIM is, and which are the best mobile operations and eSIM providers in the USA, we’ve put together this comprehensive guide.
What is an eSIM?
An eSIM (embedded SIM) is a programmable chip that’s built into newer smartphones, tablets, and wearables such as Apple watches. It works like a traditional SIM card but doesn’t require physical swapping or removal. Instead, it can be activated and programmed remotely to work with different carriers.
What kind of devices are compatible Support eSIMs in USA?
Not all mobile devices support eSIMs. Before you purchase an eSim United States of America data package, you need to first make sure that your phone supports the eSim functionality. Unfortunately, this is not available for all phones. You can find the list of compatible eSIM devices is getting longer and longer. It now includes 80 models of mobile phones, wearables, tablets, and laptops.
- iPhone XS series
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE 2 (2020)
- iPhone 11 series
- iPhone 12 series
- iPhone 13 series
- iPhone 14 series
- Samsung Galaxy S20 series
- Samsung Galaxy S21 series
- Samsung Galaxy S22 series
- Samsung Galaxy S23 series
- Samsung Note 20 series
- Samsung Galaxy Fold series
- Samsung Galaxy Flip series
- Google Pixel 2 series
- Google Pixel 3 series
- Google Pixel 4 series
- Google Pixel 5 series
- Google Pixel 6 series
Apple Watch Series
- Apple Watch Series 3 LTE
- Apple Watch Series 4 LTE
- Apple Watch Series 5 LTE
- Apple Watch Series 6 LTE
- Apple Watch Series SE LTE
- Apple Watch Series 7 LTE
Best Mobile Operations in USA
The most popular mobile network operators in the USA are AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. All three offer excellent network coverage across the country, but each has its pros and cons. Here’s a brief overview:
AT&T Telecommunications Service
AT&T is part of AT&T Corporation, a multinational telecommunications service provider headquartered at Whitacre Tower in downtown Dallas, Texas. It is the second-largest cell phone carrier and the largest fixed-line operator in the United States. AT&T Corporation is the 20th largest mobile telecommunications company in the world, with over 250 million mobile users.
T mobile is a famous network operator in the United States, headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, located in the urban area of Seattle.
According to ratings from the number of network users, T mobile is currently one of the major network operators in the world. Actual statistics in 2022 have up to 90 million registered customers.
T-Mobile, also known as T-Mobile USA, provides wireless data and data to meet the needs of smart technology. The company provides services in the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The operator’s annual revenue earns a huge number, about tens of billions of dollars
Verizon is one of the major US telecommunications carriers that reported its revenue for the second quarter of 2022 with an increase of 9.1% compared to the same period last year, or $ 25.6 billion.
Verizon Wireless is the largest networked telephone service provider in the US because its towers cover the largest land area. This means that this network is your only option in many rural areas of the country.
All 3 major carriers have mobile subscribers in the US with unlimited calls and texts, but in terms of price, internet and hotspot, there is a clear difference to evaluate a carrier. We also see the details of the rates and mobile speeds of the carriers;
- T-Mobile: 70 USD.
- Verizon: 70 USD.
- AT&T: 85 USD.
- T-Mobile: Unlimited 4G, data up to 50GB.
- Verizon: 15GB.
- AT&T: Unlimited 4G, data up to 22GB.
- T-Mobile: Unlimited 3G.
- Verizon: No support.
- AT&T: 10 GB.
Best eSIM Providers in USA
If you’re looking for the best eSIM providers in the USA, here are some options:
Each provider has its own set of pros and cons, so it’s important to do your research before choosing one.
How Much Data Plan Do You Need to Travel USA for a Week?
The amount of data you need depends on how much you use the internet. But as a general rule of thumb, if you’re planning to use your phone for navigation, social media, and video streaming, you’ll need at least 5GB of data.
Pros and Cons of eSIM
- Saves physical space since there’s no need for a physical SIM card.
- Can switch between carriers without needing a new SIM card.
- Easy to activate and manage remotely.
- Not all devices support eSIMs.
- May not work with all carriers or in all regions.
- Difficult to swap between eSIMs if multiple profiles are active.
Alternatives to eSIM
If you don’t have a device that supports eSIM technology, you can always opt for a traditional SIM card. Just note that you’ll need to physically swap out the SIM card every time you switch carriers.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Activate an eSIM
The process for activating an eSIM varies depending on your carrier and device. However, here is a general step-by-step guide:
- Contact your carrier to enable eSIM service.
- Scan the QR code provided by your carrier with your device’s camera.
- Confirm activation with your carrier.
- Choose the eSIM profile you want to use.
- Wait for your device to confirm activation.
Comparison: eSIM vs. Traditional SIM Card
|eSIM||Traditional SIM Card|
|Number of profiles||Multiple profiles can be supported||One profile at a time|
|Activation process||Scanning QR code, confirmation through carrier||Physically inserting SIM card, confirmation through carrier|
|Ease of use||Easy to activate and manage remotely||Requires physical swapping|
Tips for Using eSIM
- Make sure your device is compatible with eSIM.
- Choose a reputable eSIM provider.
- Keep track of the number of active profiles.
- Be aware of coverage limitations.
The Best Option
The best option depends on your usage patterns, preferences, and budget. If you need a more affordable plan, T-Mobile or an eSIM provider like GigSky may be a better choice. But if you value coverage over cost, Verizon may be the way to go.
- Can I switch between carriers using eSIM in the USA? Yes, eSIM technology allows you to switch between carriers without physically swapping out the SIM card.
- Which mobile network operators offer eSIM support in the USA? AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon offer eSIM support in the USA.
- How much data do I need for a week-long trip to the USA? It depends on your usage, but at least 5GB of data is recommended for navigation, social media, and videostreaming.
- Can I have multiple eSIM profiles on my device? Yes, many devices allow you to have multiple eSIM profiles active at the same time.
- Is eSIM technology safe and secure? Yes, eSIM technology is just as safe and secure as traditional SIM cards, and in some cases, it may even be more secure.
eSIM technology provides a convenient alternative to traditional SIM cards for mobile users. In the USA, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are the most popular mobile operators, while Airalo, GigSky, Truphone, Ubigi, and Surfroam are among the best eSIM providers. When traveling to the USA, it’s recommended to have at least 5GB of data for internet usage. While there are pros and cons to using eSIM technology, it ultimately depends on your individual needs and preferences.