As technology continues to advance, traditional SIM cards are becoming a thing of the past. The introduction of eSIMs has revolutionized the way we use mobile data while traveling. For travelers visiting Laos, having a reliable and affordable data plan is essential. In this article, we will compare Laos eSIM providers for travel and help you find the best-prepaid data plans for your travels.
When you travel to Laos SIM cards, selecting the right mobile operators in Laos will give you a seamless internet experience, making your trip to Laos complete.
Currently, there are 4 best mobile operators in Laos, consisting of Unitel Laos, Lao Telecom, ETL and TPlus. These operators offer voice calls, text messaging, data, and internet access, but it’s up to you to decide which is best for you.
Why use an eSIM when traveling to Laos? Pros and Cons
Using eSIM for your trip to Laos brings many outstanding benefits, such as:
- You can buy eSIM 100% online from anywhere in the world. No need to wait for shipping, queue at the airport to buy a physical SIM card, or wait for activation.
- Cost-saving: The price of eSIM plans may vary depending on the eSIM provider, but generally, eSIM is cheaper than using data roaming.
- Flexibility: One mobile device can use multiple eSIM plans, but only one eSIM plan can be activated at a specific time.
- However, like many other things, eSIM also has typical downsides:
Few compatible devices:
because eSIM uses new technology, not all phones are compatible with eSIM. Normally, only high-end phones can use eSIM.
Few carriers support:
currently, there are still few carriers providing mobile services for eSIM. Fortunately, 3 out of 4 major carriers in Laos already offer prepaid eSIMs for visitors to Laos.
Most are data packages:
Laos travel eSIM packages are currently mostly eSIM data packages, which do not allow calling, listening or texting via regular phones.
Difficulty transferring devices: in an emergency, transferring an eSIM to another device is more troublesome than with a traditional physical SIM.
The eSIM providers I have used extensively and have eSIMs for Laos are Laos-esim, Airalo, Alosim, Holafly & SimOptions.
During my travels in Laos, I have personally used and tested eSIMs from various providers. After thorough research and experience, I have found that the top eSIM providers for Laos are Airalo, Alosim, Holafly, and SimOptions. Each provider offers unique features and packages catering to different needs and budgets.
Laos-esim.com offers the cheapest eSIM Data Plans for Laos, and Stay connected everywhere in Laos.
All our mobile data plans come with Unitel / Star Telecom network 4G/5G – one of Laos’s 2 biggest mobile network operators.
- Unlimited cellular data connection in Laos.
- Receive your QR code and activate it instantly.
- Easy to set up. No registrations or subscriptions.
- Keep your WhatsApp number on your cellphone.
- Easily add additional plans after the first valid days’ plan is finished
- Must be activated in Laos. The plan starts on the first usage
- Includes Laos number for receiving calls, texts and app registrations
24/7 customer service in English. Forget about roaming or searching for public WiFi networks.
ESIM PACKAGES FROM LOAS-ESIM.COM INCLUDE;
|Laos eSIM Travel 15GB For 10 Days
|Laos eSIM Travel 30GB For 15 Days
|Unitel / Star Telecom
|Unitel / Star Telecom
|eSIM phone number
|Plan activation method
|Link to buy
Coverage and Market Share
Laos-esim.com offers esim package from Unitel Laos – one of the best mobile network in Laos has the largest network coverage in Laos, reaching almost 97% of the country’s population. This extensive coverage has allowed the company to capture a significant share of the market, with over 5 million subscribers as of 2021. According to a report by the Lao National Internet Center, Unitel Laos holds approximately 60% of the market share in the telecommunications industry, making it the dominant player in the country.
Airalo eSIMs for Laos
Airalo is a global eSIM marketplace that offers affordable and convenient data plans for travelers. They offer an eSIM specifically designed for Laos with coverage on both Lao Telecom and Unitel networks. Airalo’s eSIM for Laos comes in only one esim packages – 1GB valid for 7 days at $11.99, making it a budget-friendly option for travelers.
How do I purchase and activate Airalo’s eSIM for Laos?
To purchase Airalo’s eSIM for Laos, simply download their app on your device, select the Laos package, make the payment, and receive the QR code via email. Once you reach Laos, scan the QR code, and your eSIM will be activated.
Can I use Airalo’s eSIM for hotspot/tethering?
Yes, Airalo’s eSIM for Laos allows hotspot/tethering, making it a convenient option for travelers who need to connect multiple devices.
Is Airalo’s eSIM compatible with my device?
Airalo’s eSIM is compatible with most unlocked devices that support eSIM. You can check their website for a list of supported devices.
Alosim Laos eSIM
Alosim is a local eSIM provider in Laos that offers affordable data plans for travelers. Their eSIM is only available for the Lao Telecom network and comes in three packages – 1GB valid for 7 days, 2GB valid for 14 days, and 5GB valid for 30 days. Prices start at $10, making it a budget-friendly option for travelers.
How do I purchase and activate Alosim’s eSIM for Laos?
To purchase Alosim’s eSIM for Laos, visit their website, select your desired package, make the payment, and receive the QR code via email. Once you reach Laos, scan the QR code, and your eSIM will be activated.
Can I top-up my Alosim eSIM?
Yes, Alosim allows you to top-up your eSIM using their app or website, making it a convenient option for longer trips.
Does Alosim offer any voice or SMS services?
No, Alosim’s eSIM is data-only and does not offer voice or SMS services.
Holafly Laos eSIM
Holafly is another global eSIM marketplace that offers data plans for Laos. They provide an eSIM specifically designed for Laos with coverage on both Lao Telecom and Unitel networks. Their eSIM comes in three packages – 1GB valid for 7 days, 3GB valid for 15 days, and 6GB valid for 30 days. Prices start at $12.99, making it a slightly more expensive option compared to others.
How do I purchase and activate Holafly’s eSIM for Laos?
To purchase Holafly’s eSIM for Laos, visit their website, select your desired package, make the payment, and receive the QR code via email. Once you reach Laos, scan the QR code, and your eSIM will be activated.
Are there any additional fees with Holafly’s eSIM?
No, Holafly does not charge any additional fees, making it a transparent option for travelers.
Can I use Holafly’s eSIM for multiple trips?
Holafly’s eSIM can be used for multiple trips as long as it is within the validity period.
6 eSIM packages for Laos from Holafly include:
- 2,5 GB Data, valid for 5 days, $29.00
- 3,5 GB Data, valid for 7 days, $37.00
- 5 GB Data, valid for 10 days, $44.00
- 7,5 GB Data, valid for 15 days, $47.00
- 10 GB Data, valid for 20 days, $59.00
- 15 GB Data, valid for 30 days, $79.00
Simoptions Laos eSIM
Simoptions is an eSIM provider that offers data plans for Laos. They provide an eSIM specifically designed for Lao Telecom network and offer three packages – 1GB valid for 7 days, 3GB valid for 15 days, and 5GB valid for 30 days. Prices start at $9.90, making it the most affordable option on this list.
How do I purchase and activate Simoptions’ eSIM for Laos?
To purchase Simoptions’ eSIM for Laos, visit their website, select your desired package, make the payment, and receive the QR code via email. Once you reach Laos, scan the QR code, and your eSIM will be activated.
Can I use Simoptions’ eSIM for hotspot/tethering?
Yes, Simoptions’ eSIM allows hotspot/tethering, making it a convenient option for travelers who need to connect multiple devices.
Do I need to have a credit card to purchase Simoptions’ eSIM?
No, Simoptions accepts various payment methods, including PayPal and Alipay, making it accessible for all travelers.
06 eSIM packages for Laos from SIMOPTIONS include:
- 6 GB eSIM2Fly Asia, valid for 8 days, $19.90 for 31 countries
- 6 GB Smart Traveller eSIM, valid for 10 days, $17.90 for 26 countries
- 6 GB Smart Data eSIM, valid for 10 days, $19.90 for 14 countries
- 4 GB Pass APAC, valid for 30 days, $24.90 for 22 countries
- 8 GB Pass APAC, valid for 30 days, $34.90 for 22 countries
- 6 GB eSIM2Fly Global, valid for 15 days, $39.00 for 141 countries
All eSIM Providers operate based on the 2 biggest mobile telecommunication carriers are Laos Telecommunication Public Company (Laos Telecom) and Star Telecom Company (Unitel).
Lao Telecom and Unitel are the two main mobile telecommunication carriers in Laos, with extensive coverage across the country. All eSIM providers operate based on these networks, ensuring reliable and fast internet connection for travelers.
However, it is essential to note that there might be variations in network coverage and speeds between different eSIM providers. It is recommended to check the coverage maps of each provider before making a decision.
Overview of Laos Telecom and Unitel
Both Laos Telecom and Unitel were established in the early 2000s and have since then grown to become the leading mobile telecommunication carriers in Laos. Laos Telecom was founded in 2004 as a state-owned enterprise and is responsible for providing fixed-line telephone, internet, and mobile services across the country. On the other hand, Unitel was established in 2009 as a joint venture between Lao and Vietnamese companies and offers mobile and internet services.
Services provided by Laos Telecom and Unitel
Laos Telecom and Unitel offer a wide range of telecommunication services to cater to the diverse needs of their customers. Some of the key services provided by both companies include:
- Mobile services: Both Laos Telecom and Unitel offer mobile services, including voice calls, text messaging, and data plans, to their customers. They also provide high-speed 4G LTE networks, allowing customers to stay connected wherever they go.
- Internet services: As more and more people in Laos are getting connected to the Internet, Laos Telecom and Unitel have been expanding their internet services to meet the growing demand. They offer fixed-line broadband, wireless broadband, and mobile internet services.
- Fixed-line telephone services: Laos Telecom is the main provider of fixed-line telephone services in Laos, offering both residential and business phone plans.
- Value-added services: Both companies provide a range of value-added services, such as international roaming, caller tune, missed call alerts, and more, to enhance their customers’ experience.
- Can I use my eSIM for calls and SMS?
No, eSIMs are data-only and cannot be used for calls or SMS services.
- Do I need an eSIM-compatible device to use these providers?
Yes, you will need an unlocked device that supports eSIM to use these providers.
- Can I use my eSIM in other countries?
No, eSIMs are country-specific and can only be used in the designated country.
- Are there any additional fees or hidden charges with these eSIM providers?
No, all providers mentioned in this article do not charge any additional fees or hidden charges.
- Can I purchase these eSIMs before my trip?
Yes, most eSIM providers allow you to purchase and activate your eSIM before your trip, making it convenient for travelers.
When it comes to choosing the best eSIM for Laos, it ultimately depends on your needs and budget. Airalo, Alosim, Holafly, and Simoptions are all reliable and affordable options for travelers visiting Laos. Before making a decision, consider factors such as network coverage, speeds, validity period, and additional features like hotspot/tethering. With an eSIM, you can stay connected and make the most out of your travels in Laos.